Posted: August 15, 2022
August is Back to School Safety Month, and one of the main dangers children face when returning to school is the risk of pedestrian accidents. On average, hundreds of children are killed yearly in the United States from pedestrian accidents, and thousands are seriously injured.
Parents can take several steps to help keep their children safe from pedestrian accidents, and in this blog post, we will explore some of them. From walking with your child to and from school to making sure they are aware of their surroundings, there are many ways to help keep your child safe.
If you have any questions about this blog post or need legal assistance after suffering an accident, do not hesitate to contact our experienced NYC personal injury lawyers for a free consultation.
Safety Tips For Parents of Students Returning to School in New York City
Children between the ages of 5 and 15 face some of the most significant risks on U.S. roads. Parents in New York City should teach their children basic safety rules when walking near traffic or leaving their front yard. These tips can make all the difference when it comes to keeping children safe from pedestrian accidents:
- Teach your child to always look both ways before crossing the street and only cross streets where there is a crosswalk.
- Make sure your child listens for traffic before crossing.
- Do not allow your child to play in areas where cars frequently drive.
- Walk with a younger child from home until they feel comfortable walking alone.
- Older children should know to walk on the sidewalk, not in the street.
- Children should also be taught not to run into the street after a ball or other object.
Make sure your child understands these rules by talking about them and demonstrating them individually for each one.
Give Us a Call
You should contact an attorney immediately when your child suffers injuries in a pedestrian accident. We can help. Reid B. Wissner is an experienced car accident lawyer. He thoroughly understands the system with more than 30 years of experience in the New York court system. Give us a call at 212-406-9288.