Whether you’re fighting traffic to and from work, running errands with your family or heading across town for the weekend, driving is an essential part of modern life. Unfortunately, accidents happen. You can do everything right and still find yourself injured due to someone else’s mistake.
Reid B. Wissner Law Offices is passionate about helping those who are hurt by another’s negligence obtain the justice and compensation they deserve.
If you have been harmed in a car accident, you need a lawyer who understands your rights and has the skill and experience to help you get full and fair compensation for your injuries. Please contact us today online or at 212-406-9288 to discuss your case for free with car accident attorney Reid Wissner. We proudly help clients from Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx.
On this page, we will discuss many aspects of car accident cases, including:
- Common causes of car wrecks
- Car accident injuries
- How our car accident lawyer can help you
- Obtaining the full compensation you deserve
- No-fault law
- What to do after a car wreck
- Contact us now to discuss your case for free
"I was involved in a car accident at work and was recommended by a family friend to Mr.Wissner. I could not have had a better experience anywhere else. All my questions and concerns were answered thoroughly during our first meeting and any other questions I had after were answered in a timely fashion. My case was settled in less than a year and I am more than satisfied with its outcome! He’s the best of the best !!!" - K.C.W.
Car crashes happen for a number of reasons, but they can often be traced back to the carelessness, recklessness or negligence of a driver. While inclement weather, poor road conditions and faulty auto parts can lead to wrecks, negligent drivers can cause collisions through:
- Speeding: When a driver is speeding, he or she is more likely to lose control of the vehicle and is also unable to react as quickly to regular and unexpected driving conditions.
- Driving while intoxicated: Even the safest and most responsible drivers are at risk when sharing the road with a drunk driver. When intoxicated drivers get behind the wheel of an automobile, they aren’t just endangering themselves, they are jeopardizing the safety and wellbeing of everyone else on the road.
- Distracted driving: Although it has been a problem for years, the widespread use of cell phones and other electronic devices has made distracted driving more common than ever before. Anything that takes your attention away from the act of driving is considered a driver distraction. Examples of distractions can include texting, grooming, eating, adjusting audio controls, reaching for items on the floor or another seat, intense passenger discussions or reading a map.
- Reckless and aggressive driving: In New York, aggressive driving is a factor in more than half of all motor vehicle accidents. Aggressive driving behaviors include chronic speeding, failure to signal, failure to yield the right of way, frequent lane changes and tailgating.
We help car crash victims who sustain all types of injuries. Unfortunately, many people don’t think that their injuries are serious enough to contact a car accident attorney. The truth is that you don’t know the full extent of your current injuries and any injury can worsen over time.
For example, whiplash can take several days to truly manifest, and you may gradually notice that the pain is growing too severe to be able to function and work as you once did. What you may think is a bruise could actually be internal bleeding. The headaches you’ve been experiencing could be initial signs of a traumatic brain injury.
If you accept a settlement, you will not be able to seek compensation when your injuries get worse. Reid Wissner considers all aspects of your injuries, including future medical costs and resulting diminished earning capacity. He will protect your best interests, not the insurance company’s bottom line.
Do I need a lawyer after a car accident? It’s a common question for many people wondering if and when to get an attorney for a traffic accident.
If you’ve been hurt in a collision, don’t talk to an insurance representative until you speak with an experienced car wreck attorney. Reid Wissner has focused strictly on personal injury law for more than 30 years. He is committed to providing straightforward, client-focused legal counsel.
When you work with Mr. Wissner, you will never be treated like just another case number. You won’t be shuffled off to an assistant or paralegal. Attorney Wissner will personally handle every aspect of your claim, from your initial consultation to the recovery of your settlement. He will focus on your case so you can focus on healing.
Reid Wissner will work tirelessly to resolve your case with the best possible outcome. He does this by:
- Meeting with you personally and evaluating your case at a free initial consultation
- Thoroughly examining the details of your collision and determining the true cause
- Building your best case and presenting it on your behalf
- Aggressively negotiating with insurance companies to ensure you receive the maximum compensation you deserve
We understand your case is unique. The best lawyers for car accidents never take a cookie-cutter approach to legal counsel. When you choose Reid B. Wissner Law Offices, your case will be built specifically for your individual situation in order to achieve the best possible outcome for you and your family.
Insurance companies will do everything they can to minimize their payout after an accident. They will frequently offer you less than your injuries, medical expenses and vehicular damage actually require.
When Reid Wissner fights on your behalf, he strives to recover payment for every aspect of your life that has been affected by the crash. Depending on the unique aspects of your case, you may be entitled to recover damages for:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Pain and suffering
Reid Wissner has more than three decades of experience helping car accident victims in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx recover the fair compensation and justice they deserve. He can help you, too.
While you focus on your recovery, Mr. Wissner will be hard at work building a strong case against the negligent driver and negotiating a settlement that will cover the full extent of your damages.
New York is a “no-fault” insurance state. Generally speaking, this means that every insurance policy is required to have a minimum of $50,000 in no-fault coverage for the payment of medical costs, lost wages and rehabilitation expenses regardless of who is at fault for the accidents.
However, if the correct insurance company is not identified and put on notice of your claim in a timely manner, your rightful no-fault benefits could be jeopardized. This is why it is so important to work with an experienced car accident lawyer who fully understands New York’s no-fault regulations and can ensure your rights and benefits are protected.
Your immediate actions following a car crash can make a significant difference in the strength of your case. It is crucial to try to keep a level head and remember the following steps:
- Check for injuries: As soon as you’ve been in an accident, your first course of action should always be to check if anyone in the vehicle is in need of immediate emergency medical attention. If so, call 911 right away. Never attempt to move anyone who is unconscious or experiencing neck or back pain. Allow medical responders to do this.
- Do not admit fault: When you exit the car to initially assess any damage and get information from the other driver, do not admit fault or guess at the cause of the collision.
- Collect information from the other driver: Obtain the other driver’s name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, license plate and insurance information.
- Get witness information: Take down the names and contact information of any witnesses at the scene.
- Take pictures: Almost all cell phones have built-in cameras. Capture images of the accident scene, including skid marks, and any damage to the vehicles.
- Call the police: Always answer honestly when speaking with a police officer but don’t admit fault if you aren’t sure of what caused the accident. An admission of fault on the accident report could jeopardize your case.
- Call your insurance company: You are legally required to report an accident to your insurer in a timely manner. Report any injuries and the basic details of what happened, but do not admit fault or sign any statements without consulting with an accident attorney. Be aware that if you are not honest with the insurance company, they can potentially disclaim coverage later.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you aren’t sure if you’ve been seriously injured, you should always seek medical attention after an accident. Not only will a doctor be able to identify and treat your injuries before they worsen, the medical record serves to document your injuries and potentially strengthen your case.
- Call Reid B. Wissner Law Offices: If you have experienced any injuries whatsoever, you should contact Reid Wissner right away. The sooner you contact our office, the easier it will be for Mr. Wissner to build your strongest case. He can also deal directly with the insurance company so that you can focus exclusively on healing.
How Long Do Car Accidents Take To Settle?
It can take anywhere from a few weeks to several years for a car accident case to settle. Some cases are fairly straightforward. Others are more complex and require a lot of back and forth.
You need to recover and finish your treatment or reach maximum medical improvement first. There may be significant delays at this step. Our attorney can often use his medical connections to help move things along.
Other factors that can impact the timing of your claim include:
- The severity of your injuries and other damages
- The quality and quantity of your evidence
- The number of negligent parties involved in the crash
- Your decision to hire an experienced car accident lawyer
How Do Insurance Companies Determine Car Accident Case Settlement Amounts?
Insurance companies typically calculate car accident case settlement amounts using a basic formula that takes various factors into account. These factors usually include the severity of your injury, the length of your treatment period, any missed time away from work, and more.
After arriving at a settlement figure, the insurance adjuster will offer a percentage of what the insurer thinks is the final case value. This number is usually lower if the plaintiff is unrepresented. That is why it is crucial to work with a lawyer and hold out for a fair settlement.
How Do I Maximize My Insurance Settlement?
There are a few ways to maximize your insurance settlement after a car accident. The most beneficial thing you can do is hire an experienced car accident attorney who can fight for you during this process. The following steps may also boost your odds of a favorable outcome:
- Gather and preserve evidence
- Seek immediate medical treatment
- Do not miss any of your medical appointments
- Know the deadlines for your claim
- Evaluate your future damages
- Do not accept the first settlement offer
What Information Do I Need to File a Claim?
Several details are required for an insurance claim after a car accident. You will need to know:
- Your policy number
- Which covered vehicle was involved in the crash
- Who was driving
- When and where the accident occurred
- The name, insurance information, and contact details of the other driver
- The names and contact information of any witnesses
It's also important to take photographs of the vehicle damage. Additionally, you will need the names and badge numbers of any officers who responded to the accident, as well as a copy of the accident report. Generally, you will be asked to supply all of this information to your insurer.
What if I Think the Accident Was at Least Partly My Fault?
It’s easy to assume that you won’t be able to get compensation for an accident that you contributed to in any way. However, that isn’t how auto insurance works in New York.
New York is a no-fault insurance state. That means you will typically file a claim with your own insurance regardless of who caused the accident. You will also need to apply for benefits such as the payment of medical bills and lost wages. However, it isn’t as straightforward as it sounds.
No-fault insurance claims are governed by strict rules. You must file within a tight deadline. Similarly, you must meet the no-fault threshold. Our attorney can help navigate these hurdles.
At Reid B. Wissner Law Offices, you aren’t just another case number, you are our top priority. If you have been hurt in a car crash in the Bronx, Queens or Brooklyn, please contact us today by completing the form on this page or calling 212-406-9288 to schedule a free consultation.
Don’t let concerns of car accident lawyer fees stop you from pursuing justice. It costs you nothing to discuss your case. If we agree to move forward with your claim, you won’t owe a penny unless your case is successful.